My final food art for the christmas edition is the very kid famous personality – The SantaClaus. Kids love him for his happy go lucky nature and what could be a better way to treat your kids. So moms you know what to do, just […]
Is your baby suffering from nasal congestion? As a parent it is difficult to watch your baby struggle with their stuffy nose. Although nasal congestion is common in babies and children, it can be very upsetting for a baby, especially at feeding and sleeping time, […]
Do you love Pizzas ? Who doesn’t. But does your kid eat pizza with veggies loaded in it. A bite, may be a slice but keeps demanding Cheese Pizza only? Well it has become a challenge these days for parents to get their children to […]
Does your mouth water when you hear RAJMA CHAWAL? I assume it does, since it is one of the patent dish you will find in 90% of Punjabi House. But do you know there are so many varieties of this one simple dish like the Emli Rajma Chawal, Onion Garlic Rama Chawal, Jain Rajma Chawal etc. Well today I will share of the ancestors recipe passed on from generation to generation with typical no changes made in it. This is my MIL recipe which I will be sharing today which will take you on a tour to visit the grandma’s kitchen . So Learn to make Jain Rajma Chawal Recipe in Punjabi style.
Not many of you are aware there exists a community of Punjabi Jains in India. And contradictory to the belief, Punajbis are non vegetarian we are a small tribe who not only relish vegetarian meal but also Jain Food. Having said that I would not want to waste your time and jump to sharing this old grandma recipe coming from the Jain community itself. So lets Learn to make Jain Rajma Chawal Recipe in Punjabi style.
- Rajma 200 gms
- Tomatoes 3 nos
- Cummin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green Chillies 2 nos
- Red Turmeric Powder – 1tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1tsp
- Curd – 1 tbsp
- Eno/ baking soda – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1-2 tbsp
- Sugar a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Coriander for garnishing
- Wash the rajma and soak it in the water for 8 – 10 hrs
- Pressure cook the rajma until soft . Add salt before you pressure cook. (you may even add soda for better boiling)
- Drain and keep aside or separate the stock if you have not used baking soda and keep aside
- Blend the tomatoes and green chilli together in a blender and keyboard puree aside
- In a pan, heat the oil, add cumin seeds , red chilli powder, coriander powder and add the tomato puree.
- Let it cook, till all the water evaporates. Add salt a pinch of sugar and give it a quick stir.
- Add curd for flavour at this stage followed by boiled Rajma along with the stock and cook for 7-8 mins.
- Adjust the water consistency as needed, we make it little watery
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
Well as you may enjoy the simplicity of the dish your kids can show some tantrums too. In the age of pizza and pasta kids don’t tend to like simplicity. So for such kids I have made this cute little Rajma-Rice Man inspired from the character Ginger Bread Man. It is one of the easy recipe to plate and can be done in a jiffy.
- Rajma gravy
- Chocolate Balls
- Give the ginger bread shape to the rice in the dish you plan to serve your meal
- Add chocolate balls as eyes and buttons
- Add olive representing as mouth
- Pour the rajma gravy on the sides and gaps remaining in the entire plate
- Your Rajma Rice Man is ready to be eaten
Well this is a small effort by me to help kids learn to enjoy food. Hope you liked it too. Do share your suggestions and feedback and enjoy the Jain Rajma Chawal in Punjabi Style. In the mean time you can check my other recipes over here
We all have heard this proverb “Health is Wealth”. But how much do we really take care of our health in the real sense. Specially after giving a birth to a baby our lives focus is on the kid, family, job, sleepless nights etc etc. […]
As a kid, I loved cherries simply because of it’s bright red colour. And as I grew old I enjoyed it in cakes and had a special love for this fruit. It’s very rare kids don’t like cherries but as we all know some kids can get really fussy and for them I am sharing some Fun Food Ideas with Cherries for kids.
The goodness of Cherries
These little fruits manage to pack in a lot of important nutrients. These super healthy snacks contain ample calcium for a growing baby’s bones. They are also full of antioxidants to boost baby’s immune system (that’s what gives cherries their vibrant red colour), vitamin C, iron and potassium.
How to Choose Cherries
Cherries are a very delicate fruit, it is important to always inspect before purchasing. Look for bright, smooth fruits that are unblemished and shiny. A general rule is the darker the cherry, the sweeter it tastes.
Now sharing some
FUN FOOD IDEAS WITH CHERRIES FOR KIDS
1.Have it Raw. That’s the best way to consume cherries. But if your kid is on the fussy type or is glued to TV/ Mobile while eating. I’ll share a tip to how to break the habit. Make a simple foodart the way I have done. And I bet you are not going to hear the word NO.
To make the foodart place the cherries as balloon shown in the picture above and make a sweet little girl enjoying/ playing with the balloons with some chocolate sauce.
2. Make a Cherry Puree
Put about a ½ pound of prepared cherries (washed and pitted) into a saucepan with a cup of water. Boil and allow to simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until the juices run freely and the cherries are soft. Serve as topping or on bread etc
Let the cherries cool, then pureé in a blender!
3. Make lovely cherry ingredient recipes like cherry yogurt, cherry crumble and pies, cherry smoothies… the colours in itself will do the magic
I hope you enjoyed these Fun Food Ideas with Cherries for Kids. And hope you will try some variants for your kids. Do share your feedback and suggestion on the same and shower this post with some love
Do check some more foodart of mine if this one amazes you here
Blog Inspiration : Baby Gourmet
It’s been a while I have shared a recipe specially catered to kids. And hence today I am sharing a very special recipe which is liked by my little one. So, Learn to make Amaranth / Rajgira Almonds and Jaggery Ladoos for your toddlers. But […]
I love doing foodart for the kids. It’s super cute.. right ? Well it may feel tasking for some mom’s, as you might think a lot of time and energy is needed to create a platter and plus you need to have a creative mindset. Surprisingly that is not the case. All you have to do is get these summer fruits out of your fridge and begin to make some Fun Food Ideas for the Kids.
Summer is a perfect time to let your kids play and experiment with food. There are endless learning and teaching moments you can have with food and one of them is making food art for your kids. Food art is not only a medium to enhance a child’s imagination but also a great way to get those fruits and veggies on the plate. If you are dealing with a fussy kid, this is by far the best way to create fondness for food.
But before we begin, kindly ensure no matter what your child’s age is involve them in the food art making process. After they are done making a dog, fish or their favourite cartoon character, they will be much more excited to eat the platter. So, let’s begin!
Fun Food Ideas for the Kids with Summer Fruits
Enjoy a thrill ride with a Mango Hot Air Balloon
This is by far one of the simplest food art that can be done by a mom and child together. All you need is two ingredients – Watermelon and Mangoes.
- Cut the mangoes as show in the picture ( like a checker board ) and place it on top of your plate
- Cut the watermelon in triangle pieces and place it as mountains on the bottom of the plate
- Take a piece of bread and spread cheese or mayo and place it below the hot air balloon
- The balloon strings and birds can be made of the watermelon shell
- And your food art is ready to go
Sail away with these Summer Fruits
To make this foodart, kids will need some help from their mom’s specially to peel of the lychees and assemble it. All you need are these three ingredients – Lychee, Watermelon and Breadstick
- Peel the lychees as place it as waves of the sea
- Cut the breadstick into three parts of different sizes
- Place the smaller one below, followed by a middle size and larger one at the top. The idea is to depict a boat
- Slice the Watermelon in triangle sizes and place them as shown in the picture above
- To complete the scene you can add sun made from lemon or aam ras ( as i have made ), place birds made from fruit skin or clouds made of yogurt
- The platter is ready to be served
MEET THE WATERMELON FLAMINGO
This food art is made only using one single ingredient i.e Watermelon. Seems one complicated structure but very easy to make. In case you want to make a similar looking platter you can click here
You can even check out few more fruit food arts I have made in the past to get your kids enjoy food as well eat their meal without watching TV/ Mobile. Plz click here
So mom’s, time to get artistic and show your magic. This way the kids are entertained and occupied and at the same time you are to earn the title of the Best Mom in the world. What else is needed when your little one eats well and plays well.
I hope you enjoyed these Fun Food Ideas for the Kids with Summer Fruits and as usual i would wait for your feedback and suggestion. Do Comment below and share which of these summer food arts you have liked and don’t forget to share the post with your friends and family.
Blog Inspiration >Messes to Memories
This ‘Summer Blog Train’ is organized by Neha Sharma from http://growingwithnemit.com/
This post is part of the blog train where 24 awe-inspiring bloggers, are going to share their story of ‘Summer’. Hop on the train to read some amazing blogs.
I would like to thank Dr. Amitoj Kaur from Tryingtobeasupermom for introducing me to the blog train.
Now, it’s time move to the next station where Priyal will share her take on the theme ‘Summer’ on her blog . Do check out her post at Parilifestyle and show some love.
Hi Mommas, I have been busy vacating with my little one at lonavla and hence my #maakirasoi segment got sidelined. But I am back and here to share another meal which my mom made when she felt lazy to cook. All she would give a healthy & yet a tasty treat just in a big fat bowl. And me and my sis use to salivate just by the look of it. After all it was colourful, tempting and yummy to the tastebuds. Sharing one of my mom’s easy quick recipe of The Veggie Bowl – A Complete Meal is what I call.
The reason I have titled the bowl as complete because it is rich in fiber, filled with all possible veggies, healthy to the heart – mind – soul. Although these days, veggie bowls are so popular, it was not the case when we were young. It use to be a different concept at that time and my mom use to earn some brownie points for her lovely cooking skills in those days. Well, with emerging times now we get plethora of bowl recipes on the internet
So here I am presenting you her basic recipe which we have been eating since we were kids
The Veggie Bowl – A Complete Meal
- Red Cabbage – 1 small
- Broccoli – 1 small
- Onion – 1 medium size
- Walnuts – 1/4 cup
- Yellow Bell Pepper – 1 medium size
- Water Chestnut – 1/4 Cup
- Nacho Chips – handful
- Wheat Bread – 1/2
- White Sauce
White Sauce Preparation
- In a pan, take 1 tbsp of butter and let it melt
- Take 1 tbsp of wheat and 1 tbsp of maida flour and mix it with the butter and stir continuously
- Add 11/2 cup milk slowly, stirring continuously in the above mixture
- Add 1 small cube of cheese to achieve a cheesy & thick consistency
- If you find the white sauce is thick, add more milk suitable to your requirement
- Semi Boil the broccoli with salt, remove access water and keep it aside
- Chop all the veggies and mix it with the broccoli
- Pour the white sauce gently over the veggies, till they are moist enough
- Garnish it with crushed nachos chips & brown bread/ crouton
- The Veggie Bowl is ready to eat
I hope you found this bowl easy to cook, nutritious and yummy too. This is my #maakirasoi simple & healthy cooking. You can check out more of her recipes I have shared so far.
Although I have passed my deadlines, I hope to share two more #maakirasoi recipes with you and celebrate mom’s month in delight. So for now enjoy The Veggie Bowl – A Complete Meal & till then, plz keep sharing your feedbacks and suggestions. And shower some love.