My final food art for the christmas edition is the very kid famous personality – The SantaClaus. Kids love him for his happy go lucky nature and what could be a better way to treat your kids. So moms you know what to do, just […]
It’s been a while I have shared a recipe specially catered to kids. And hence today I am sharing a very special recipe which is liked by my little one. So, Learn to make Amaranth / Rajgira Almonds and Jaggery Ladoos for your toddlers. But […]
I love doing foodart for the kids. It’s super cute.. right ? Well it may feel tasking for some mom’s, as you might think a lot of time and energy is needed to create a platter and plus you need to have a creative mindset. Surprisingly that is not the case. All you have to do is get these summer fruits out of your fridge and begin to make some Fun Food Ideas for the Kids.
Summer is a perfect time to let your kids play and experiment with food. There are endless learning and teaching moments you can have with food and one of them is making food art for your kids. Food art is not only a medium to enhance a child’s imagination but also a great way to get those fruits and veggies on the plate. If you are dealing with a fussy kid, this is by far the best way to create fondness for food.
But before we begin, kindly ensure no matter what your child’s age is involve them in the food art making process. After they are done making a dog, fish or their favourite cartoon character, they will be much more excited to eat the platter. So, let’s begin!
Fun Food Ideas for the Kids with Summer Fruits
Enjoy a thrill ride with a Mango Hot Air Balloon
This is by far one of the simplest food art that can be done by a mom and child together. All you need is two ingredients – Watermelon and Mangoes.
- Cut the mangoes as show in the picture ( like a checker board ) and place it on top of your plate
- Cut the watermelon in triangle pieces and place it as mountains on the bottom of the plate
- Take a piece of bread and spread cheese or mayo and place it below the hot air balloon
- The balloon strings and birds can be made of the watermelon shell
- And your food art is ready to go
Sail away with these Summer Fruits
To make this foodart, kids will need some help from their mom’s specially to peel of the lychees and assemble it. All you need are these three ingredients – Lychee, Watermelon and Breadstick
- Peel the lychees as place it as waves of the sea
- Cut the breadstick into three parts of different sizes
- Place the smaller one below, followed by a middle size and larger one at the top. The idea is to depict a boat
- Slice the Watermelon in triangle sizes and place them as shown in the picture above
- To complete the scene you can add sun made from lemon or aam ras ( as i have made ), place birds made from fruit skin or clouds made of yogurt
- The platter is ready to be served
MEET THE WATERMELON FLAMINGO
This food art is made only using one single ingredient i.e Watermelon. Seems one complicated structure but very easy to make. In case you want to make a similar looking platter you can click here
You can even check out few more fruit food arts I have made in the past to get your kids enjoy food as well eat their meal without watching TV/ Mobile. Plz click here
So mom’s, time to get artistic and show your magic. This way the kids are entertained and occupied and at the same time you are to earn the title of the Best Mom in the world. What else is needed when your little one eats well and plays well.
I hope you enjoyed these Fun Food Ideas for the Kids with Summer Fruits and as usual i would wait for your feedback and suggestion. Do Comment below and share which of these summer food arts you have liked and don’t forget to share the post with your friends and family.
Blog Inspiration >Messes to Memories
This ‘Summer Blog Train’ is organized by Neha Sharma from http://growingwithnemit.com/
This post is part of the blog train where 24 awe-inspiring bloggers, are going to share their story of ‘Summer’. Hop on the train to read some amazing blogs.
I would like to thank Dr. Amitoj Kaur from Tryingtobeasupermom for introducing me to the blog train.
Now, it’s time move to the next station where Priyal will share her take on the theme ‘Summer’ on her blog . Do check out her post at Parilifestyle and show some love.
Hi Mommas, I have been busy vacating with my little one at lonavla and hence my #maakirasoi segment got sidelined. But I am back and here to share another meal which my mom made when she felt lazy to cook. All she would give a healthy & yet a tasty treat just in a big fat bowl. And me and my sis use to salivate just by the look of it. After all it was colourful, tempting and yummy to the tastebuds. Sharing one of my mom’s easy quick recipe of The Veggie Bowl – A Complete Meal is what I call.
The reason I have titled the bowl as complete because it is rich in fiber, filled with all possible veggies, healthy to the heart – mind – soul. Although these days, veggie bowls are so popular, it was not the case when we were young. It use to be a different concept at that time and my mom use to earn some brownie points for her lovely cooking skills in those days. Well, with emerging times now we get plethora of bowl recipes on the internet
So here I am presenting you her basic recipe which we have been eating since we were kids
The Veggie Bowl – A Complete Meal
- Red Cabbage – 1 small
- Broccoli – 1 small
- Onion – 1 medium size
- Walnuts – 1/4 cup
- Yellow Bell Pepper – 1 medium size
- Water Chestnut – 1/4 Cup
- Nacho Chips – handful
- Wheat Bread – 1/2
- White Sauce
White Sauce Preparation
- In a pan, take 1 tbsp of butter and let it melt
- Take 1 tbsp of wheat and 1 tbsp of maida flour and mix it with the butter and stir continuously
- Add 11/2 cup milk slowly, stirring continuously in the above mixture
- Add 1 small cube of cheese to achieve a cheesy & thick consistency
- If you find the white sauce is thick, add more milk suitable to your requirement
- Semi Boil the broccoli with salt, remove access water and keep it aside
- Chop all the veggies and mix it with the broccoli
- Pour the white sauce gently over the veggies, till they are moist enough
- Garnish it with crushed nachos chips & brown bread/ crouton
- The Veggie Bowl is ready to eat
I hope you found this bowl easy to cook, nutritious and yummy too. This is my #maakirasoi simple & healthy cooking. You can check out more of her recipes I have shared so far.
Although I have passed my deadlines, I hope to share two more #maakirasoi recipes with you and celebrate mom’s month in delight. So for now enjoy The Veggie Bowl – A Complete Meal & till then, plz keep sharing your feedbacks and suggestions. And shower some love.
Justin Smith once said ” After you eat grandma’s cookie, everything in life is better”. Well, in my case “If you eat my mom’s cookie, everything in life is better” . Like every child, I drool over my mom’s food. I find her cooking the best among all. And when she prepares her iconic eggless homemade biscuits, I feel I am re-visiting the child in me. The simplicity of the recipe is what it makes it special. This recipe does not have any fancy ingredients of today’s generation, in-fact it still has the good raw old appeal to it.
With evolving times, my mom has altered one ingredient for health benefits and we still love the taste of it. Unlike, cookies are made from butter ,the eggless homemade biscuits is made from pure cow ghee. And before i share the recipe, let me tell you these homemade biscuits can be given to toddlers as well who are learning to eat, while travelling with them or as a evening snack. In case you are interested in toddler’s recipe you can check the section – Kids platter for more such recipes.
So time to reveal my favourite recipe of my mom – Eggless Homemade Biscuits
EGGLESS HOMEMADE BISCUITS
- Wheat Flour – 1 cup
- Oats – 1 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Ghee – 3/4 Cup
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Almond powder/ Cashew powder – 1/4 cup
- Baking soda – 1tsp ( optional )
- Mix the sugar and ghee together and stir continuously till the sugar melts and blends well
- In this mixture add wheat flour, oats and almond flour
- Add baking soda if you using in the recipe
- To bind the dough, add milk gently to achieve the right thickness. In case the dough feels dry, you can add more milk and ghee depending on the consistency needed
- Once the thickness is achieved, roll out small balls of the dough and give a relevant shape with a cookie cutter
- Place the cookies in preheated oven for 15-20 mins at 180-200 C ( Kindly keep checking the first time so that biscuits are not over baked)
- Once you prepare the batch of biscuits store it in a air tight container
- The biscuits are ready to eat
Kindly note –
- You can even prepare the biscuits if you don’t have a oven on a gas grill but it takes longer time
- Instead of oats you can also make use of ragi/nachni flour, however a little more ghee would be needed to get the desired consitency
In case you loved the vintage eggless homemade biscuits recipe, let me tell you my mom added oats instead of a complete wheat flour recipe. Although the changes have been made, we still love the taste of it and also the refined crispiness in the recipe.
This is my second post to the #maakirasoi edition. The first I made was hariyali pavbhaji – a complete green and nutritious pavbhaji suitable for 6 to 60yr old. You can check the recipe over here
This one is completely different, makes me go back to my childhood days to such an extent that I make this for my toddler also and I hope this recipe is passed on to generations to come.
Look forward to your feedback as always.
Hi Moms out there, I had taken a poll on instagram a few days back asking whether any of you would be interested in diy activities for kids with respect to food. To my surprise 90% of moms gave a positive revert and here I am sharing my first diy activitiy for kids with apple fruit.
The first diy activity is very basic, simple and yet very effective for kids who are learning alphabets. It is a perfect fit for kids in the age group of 2-5 years. It is called the Apple- Toothpick activity.
- Apple chopped in small block type pieces
- Place the toothpicks in the shape of the letter A
- Connect the toothpicks with each other by placing the apple pieces in middle
- Just poke in the toothpicks end and the entire alphabet A is good ready to be eaten
- Helps to promote healthy eating habits
- Helps to grasp the letter A and improvises the learning speed of the child
- Improves fine motor skill and problem solving
Some Do’s and Don’ts
- Conduct the activity in an adults supervision as toothpicks can prick a child
The second diy activity for kids with apple fruit is suitable for elder kids who are in love with science experiments or just have curious mindset. This one is called Oxidation with Apple
- Cut the apple in two halves
- Rub the lemon on one cuts side of one half of the apple
- Place both the apples exposed to air
- Check after 2-3 hours and OBSERVE THE DIFFERENCE
- The apple half that was not rubbed with apple juice would have turned brown whereas the one which was rubbed with lemon willwill re fresh.
- There are compounds in apple that turn brown when exposed to air which contains oxygen. This process is called oxidation.
- If you add acid, oxidation does not occur. Lemons are acidic in nature and hence the lemon rubbed apple looked fresh.
Life expermients create a believable attitude of the child and the knowledge gain is 10 times higher then bookish knowledge.
Well this was my first attempt in creating diy activitiy for kids with apple fruit. Hope you all loved it. Look forward to hear from you all and do share feedback.
In the mean time you can view foodarts which can be a fun diy MasterChef activity for your child