3 Amazing Ways to Make Drinking Milk Fun for Kids
Milk is one of the most important things I feed my child every day. My Lo is a toddler and he enjoys milk but I have seen his cousins dreading to complete a glass of plain milk just because they don’t like the taste of it. And poor Momma is always worried on how to get them finish the glass of milk or inculcate fondness towards milk. Well I understand its tough to get kids to eat/drink things they don’t like but we can always attempt various ways to get to like them food which is important and healthy. So I am going to share 3 Amazing Ways to Make Drinking Milk Fun for Kids. But before I give some valuable tips let me tell you some important facts I came across through my personal survey on Instagram.
I created a poll on instagram asking moms how do they serve milk to their kids. I divided the poll in two segments
- Natural – Flavoured milk using healthy options available at home like turmeric, saffron, milkshakes, smoothies etc
- Branded – Malt based drinks like Pediasure, Horlicks etc
Although the result reflected that 60% moms make use of natural ingredients but also there are good number of moms who give malt drinks to their kids just because kids don’t like milk. It is not a surprise that these drinks are considered to be one of the ” health food drink ” in most of the houses today. There are enticing ads spread across TV, Social Media, Newspapers claiming how nutritious and beneficial these health drinks are for the growth and development of the child and it can be quite difficult for a mom to take an informed decision.
The problem with malt drinks is that most of these powders have a cereal base (any flour including wheat flour), soy, milk powder, loads of sugar, a flavouring agent like cocoa powder, and some vitamins and minerals. And, they cost approximately Rs 300-Rs. 500 per kg. The ads claim that these health drinks helps absorb calcium from milk. Well, the truth is sugar hinders absorption of calcium and also depletes phosphorus and most of these powders contain loads of sugar.
In-spite of us being so well informed, we cannot eradicate these drinks just because our kids are usede to the taste, or attracted to the advertisements or simply the kid believes his best friend has it and so should he. So let’s become a smart mom and start changing your kids preference towards milk slowly and steadily. Here I am sharing with you 3 Amazing Ways to Make Drinking Milk Fun for Kids.
3 Amazing Ways to Make Drinking Milk Fun for Kids
MAKE MILK COLOURFUL USING NATURAL INGREDIENTS AND MAKE A WEEKLY COLOURED MILK CHART
Kids are attracted to colours. It is said colours affect emotions. But how can a plain white colour liquid will affect the kid. The answer is simple – make the milk colourful through natural ingredients. Coloured milk is a rare sight for a kid to see because his mind has been trained that milk is white and when one can offer different colours 7 days a week it is going to be fun.
So prepare a milk calendar as shown in the image and serve different colour and variety of milk to your children. Let them be a part of the process and tell them to select the colour and offer that variety to the milk.
In the above chart, I have selected the following combinations which are beneficial for the development of the child.
- Monday – Turmeric Milk/ Saffron Milk – Yellow : This is one of the old grandmas recipe very effective to fight cold/cough and also helps to build immunity
- Tuesday – Plain Milk – White : You can add natural sweeteners like jaggery / honey if you want some sweetness in your milk instead of processed sugar.
- Wednesday – Rose/ Roohafza Milk – Pink : The pink colour is appealing to eyes and has a soothing effect which will help your kid to relax a little
- Thursday – Fruit Flavoured Milk – Colourful : You can select seasonal fruits like mangoes for orange, strawberries for pink etc which can make the milk look fresh and appealing or choose the basics like banana. Plz do not add citrus fruits in the milk
- Friday – Chocolate Milk – Brown : Most of the kids like chocolatey flavour. Dark cocoa is a better substitute to branded milk
- Saturday – Dry Fruits/ Dates Milk – Cream : We all are aware about the importance of dry fruits like almonds, pistachios etc and it is one of the most healthiest way to offer with milk.
- Sunday – Kids Favourite : If your child has manged to keep up to your promise he/she definitely deserves a treat and hence serve what he likes. You never know instead of malt drink he may just choose to drink any of the above natural flavoured milk.
Once you stick to the above plan and still feel your child is being fussy, you can try out the following ways to get him used to natural milk
ACCESSORISE YOUR MILK
It is important to make your milk look attractive to the eyes. The funda is simple, if it looks good it tastes good and that is the secret ingredient and which i focus on just like my foodarts
So to entice your child you can choose to follow any below mentioned options.
Funky cups and straws –
Get some colourful quirky straws like the ones in the pic and just pop them into the glass of milk. You can even get your kids favourite colour cup or favourite character cup and make the milk glass look special
Simply wet the rim of a glass, pour some sprinkles/ chocolate flakes into a shallow bowl or plate, and dip the glass rim into the sprinkles! Pour in the milk as you would do normally, and serve.
Make it Frothy
Kids love the milky froth on the top of their milk shake and drinks. You can invest in a milk frother and get your kids to make some lovely milk moustaches.
DIY ACTIVITES WITH MILK
Engage your kids with some fun DIY Milk activities once a week so that they look forward to some fun time with you as well as improve their acceptance towards Milk
Dunken Game – Just as we all know the best way to eat Oreos is dunk it in the milk and eat it. We can create a game where one can dunk some cereals, cookies, marshmallows and finish the milk
Create Milk Lollies
Simply freeze milk shakes in ice tray or moulds and create some exciting milky lollies. You can add natural sweetners like honey, dates or some fruits to make it interesting and colourful each time.
Coloured Ice Cubes – This is such an easy way to dress up a glass of milk. Create some colored ice cubes using a drop of food colouring or natural colouring agents in the ice trays and pour it in the glass of milk making it look colourful
Well, I hope you liked these 3 Amazing Ways to Make Drinking Milk Fun for Kids. A little hard work is needed by you to push your child in going all natural and creating acceptance towards home made health drink.
Do share your feedback /suggestion and shower some love on this post.
Blog Inspiration : Goqii