Hariyali Pavbhaji Recipe
As you all know, Mother’s Day is arriving soon and I have decided to celebrate the day entire month by sharing some lovely recipes my Mom use to make for me during my childhood days. Those recipes are very special to me and till date I keep craving and insist her to make it for me whenever I visit her. Hence to begin the celebration I am posting one of my favourites – Hariyali Pavbhaji recipe and share my #maakirasoi with you.
Pavbhaji has always been one of the popular streets food that has got an easy acceptance to our home kitchen. Be it a 6 year old kid or a 60 year old adult, everyone loves this dish. Well many cook and enjoy the traditional pav bhaji, in my house we make a greener variation called the Hariyali Pavbhaji.
Hariyali Pavbhaji recipe is made using green veggies like green tomatoes, spinach, peas etc. The green vegetables use to be available in winters hence this recipe was a hit during winter season. However, with supermarkets making their presence there are certain winter vegetable that are easily available and now we no longer wait for winter’s to make Hariyali Pavbhaji Recipe.
HARIYALI PAVBHAJI RECIPE
Preparation time : 20 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
- Green Tomatoes : 8-10 medium size
- Potatoes : 5 medium size
- Onions : 4 medium size + 1 or 2 onions for garnishing over the bhaji
- Garlic : 8-10 nos
- Ginger : 2 inch
- Chillies : 3-4 nos
- Pav Bhaji Masala : 2 tbsp
- Kitchen King’s Masala – 1.5 tbsp
- Cauliflower – 1 cup
- Peas – 1 cup
- Spinach – 1 bunch
- Bottle Gourd – 1 cup
- Capsicum – 1 Big size
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1/4tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Lemon juice extract
- Boil all the veggies – Cauliflower, potatoes, green tomatoes, bottle gourd, peas together in 1/2 cup water & salt for 4 whistles & then allow cooker to cool by itself.
- Use a pavbhaji masher to mash all the above boiled vegetables and keep it aside
- Blanch the spinach and grind it in the mixture to form a paste and keep aside
- In a pan, add butter and oil together. Add cumin seeds and chopped onions. Saute the mixture for 1 min
- Add finely chopped capsicum to the above mixture and saute for 2-3 mins till oil separates
- Add garam masala, pav bhaji masala, coriander powder and salt as per taste and mix well
- Add the boiled vegetables in the above mixture and cook it till the gravy begins to boil
- Add spinach paste and cook the mixture for 2-3mins
- If gravy feels thick, you can add 1/4 cup-1/2 cup water
- Cook for another 2-3 mins and switch off the flame
- Add a dash of lemon juice and plate the pavbhaji with buttered pav and onions
- Serve it Hot !!
I hope you liked the Hariyali Pavbhaji recipe and are charged up to make it in your kitchen. if you have the ingredients ready it becomes easy and also a healthy dinner meal for your family. Although this is my mom’s recipe, she was sanjeev kapoor fan and most of her recipes will have his essence.
In the mean time, as i had promised I will share a foodart using the pavbhaji gravy. Most of the users had asked how to plate, semi solid food like gravies etc. So here is small attempt by me where i have created a food art using Hariyali Pavbhaji recipe just for you moms out there.
Till then enjoy this delicious meal,