A picky eater or a toddler who refuses to consume the food can be very frustrating for a parent. Being a parent you might have googled out of town for solutions, seemed advice from fellow mom, taken suggestion from your peers and yet you could […]
I created a poll on Instagram to find out, whether moms would be interested if I share and DIY Activities for kids that involve usage of Food. And I got lot of messages saying, moms wanted to make food fun and have a teaching and […]
Is your baby suffering from nasal congestion?
As a parent it is difficult to watch your baby struggle with their stuffy nose. Although nasal congestion is common in babies and children, it can be very upsetting for a baby, especially at feeding and sleeping time, since babies are obligatory nose breathers. But through some natural and prescribed medicines you can help them overcome this state of unrest.
But first let’s understand …
WHAT CAUSES NASAL CONGESTION IN BABIES ?
Nasal congestion occurs when the membranes lining the nose become swollen from inflamed blood vessels. There can be a variety of things that can cause your baby to develop nasal congestion.
- Common cold
- Dry Air
- Irritants like pollens, dust, perfume etc can cause sensitivity
- Weather Change
- Inherit tendency
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS
It is advisable to know the symptoms of congestion so that you can understand if that is the issue your baby is going through
- Trouble Sleeping
- Feeding difficulty.
- Mucus Discharge
- Noisy nasal breathing.
- Sneezing & Coughing
Considering on the seriousness of the situation there are various natural as well as prescribed medicines available. Here I am sharing few of them
10 WAYS TO RELIEVE YOUR BABY’S NASAL CONGESTION FOR A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP
Breastmilk also has wonderful antiviral constituents that will get your baby’s nose washed out by a solution that can naturally combat the virus directly. All you have to do is release a drop or two in the baby’s nose and let it do it’s magic of breaking down the mucus
Saline / Nasal Drops
A saline solution is available in nasal mists, sprays and drops from your local chemist or drug store. Saline nasal drops or sprays can be helpful to wash out the nose, which may assist in relieving congestion due to ‘irritants’. Nasivion Saline Drops is one such solution that helps in moistening nasal passages. However appropriate dosage by using the nasal dropper is advisable
The suction bulb is put into the baby’s nose and you need to squeeze the end to essentially suction the snot out. To ensure that your baby is comfortable with the process do it in the correct way as shown in the diagram below
Armor your baby with medicated drops prescribed by a doctor. Like my doctor prescribed me Nasivion (Mini) Baby Drops to ease the congestion. The drops come in two variant for babies and toddler – of 0.01% & 0.025 % concentration. These drops contain Oxymeatazoline in diluted concentrations that are suitable for infant for freeing up the nose without any trouble. Consult your doctor before using it.
Please check the website for more details and dosage.
New borns have narrow nasal passages that dry quickly. Hence placing a cool mist humidifier adds moisture in the vicinity thereby assisting in clearing up the stuffy nose. However keep in mind , the vapourizer should only be filled with water and not with other substances.
Alternately a steamy experience can also do wonders, similarly the way it helps adults . Steam up the bathroom and sit or breastfeed the baby for 15 mins, the humidity loosens dry congestion in the nose and helpes to drain out the mucus easily
Elevating the Head
Elevate your baby’s head using pillows or slings while they nurse or sleep. The elevations thins up the mucus from nose and chest relieving baby from congestion.
Keeping the baby hydrated
Staying hydrated prevents the nose from getting stuffed . If your little one has trouble nursing or doesn’t want to take a bottle, use a combination of saline drops and a nasal aspirator before each feeding to help clear congestion, and encourage him to drink as much as possible.
Simple Traditional methods
Use some old traditional method if the congestion is not too severe. Give a warm mustard oil body massage to the baby or some warm juices to kids above 6 months of age. A home made vaporizer can ease down the mucus or a simple wiping off the sticky mess can get some relief .
Know when to wait
If the congestion is not bothering your baby, you probably don’t need to intervene. Don’t panic as I understand you are a parent, but let it be out there and you never know the mucus will die away on it’s own.
Well these were some of my ways that I have used to relief my baby when he has a nasal congestion and it has worked for me to a great extent to get my baby to sleep peacefully inspite of the odds. You can try out these remedies, however If you using any medicated product be it over the counter ones, I would personally suggest to seek your doctors approval before using it. Every baby is unique and may respond to certain substances in a different way
Also check out this lovely initiative by Nasivion – Happy Nose Happy Mom
Do you love Pizzas ? Who doesn’t. But does your kid eat pizza with veggies loaded in it. A bite, may be a slice but keeps demanding Cheese Pizza only? Well it has become a challenge these days for parents to get their children to […]
Does your mouth water when you hear RAJMA CHAWAL? I assume it does, since it is one of the patent dish you will find in 90% of Punjabi House. But do you know there are so many varieties of this one simple dish like the […]
We all have heard this proverb “Health is Wealth”. But how much do we really take care of our health in the real sense. Specially after giving a birth to a baby our lives focus is on the kid, family, job, sleepless nights etc etc. and it is really difficult to find the ‘ME’ time for yourself. And even if you get one the least area of focus is health. So here I am sharing two Sprouted Moong Recipes for Weight Loss – Dietitian Recommended.
Dietician Foram Modi from slimpossible diet has crafted these recipes and recommends moms and other individuals to get healthy as well loose some weight the correct way. These recipes are iron rich good to build the lost strength, loaded with vitamins needed for daily intake and more importantly helps stimulating weight loss.
So the wait is over as Dietician Foram shares these two secret recipes on my platform so that we all can benefit in our journey towards waving a goobye to those extra kilos and stay fit. And at the same time if you need some motivation to eat healthy then you can just make it look attractive and refer my foodarts which i have made with her recipes.
SPROUTED MOONG RECIPES FOR WEIGHT LOSS – DIETITIAN RECOMMENDED
RECIPE 1 : Stuffed puffed red ball
- Tomatoes – 2 small
- Sprout Topping
- Moong sprouts- 15 gms
- Cumin seeds- 1/4 tsp.
- Ginger – 1 tsp.
- Lemon juice- few drops
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cilantro – 1 tbsp.
- In a small frying pan, heat the oil on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and as they crack.
- Add sprouts, ginger, black pepper and water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until sprouts are tender.
- Remove pan from heat. Add lemon juice, stir and set aside.
- Cut tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds creating hollow bowls.
- Fill tomatoes with moong sprouts.
- Serve and enjoy!
To make the weight balance foodart
- Stuffed puffed red ball
- To make the weight balance cut the cucumber into thin stripes
- Place the stripes as shown in the image one at a time
- Place the stuffed puffed red ball at the two ends
- The foodart is ready to be served
STUFFED PUFFED RED BALL WITH A TWIST
- Tomatoes- 2 medium
- Corn- 1/2 katori
- Finely chopped Onion-1 tbsp
- Finely chopped cucumber- 1 tbsp
- Finely chopped capsicum- 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli powder- 1/4th tsp
- Ground black pepper- a pinch
- Salt- as per taste
- Oil -1/2 tsp
- Buttermilk- for dressing
- Lettuce Leaves- for garnish
- Blanch tomatoes by keeping them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes, and then in cold water. After that remove the skin of the tomato and hollow the tomatoes by removing the seeds.
- In a bowl add onion, capsicum, cucumber, corn, red chili powder, black pepper and salt. Mix it well.
- Add buttermilk in the mixture and mix it properly.
- Stuff blenched tomatoes with the mixture.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and lightly glaze the tomatoes on high heat.
- When the color changes from all sides. Remove them from the pan.
- Serve whole.
To make the toy train foodart
Check out the video I have made on my instagram on how to make a toy train and just place the toy train one behind the other
Who can say no to these attractive and colourful platter. Aren’t these easy, quick and yummy to make.
If you like these recipes and want to get deeper assessments on your weight loss journey, I would recommend you consult my friend Dietitian Foram Modi. She is a renowned dietitian and a full time mother to a toddler. She is the owner and founder of Slimpossible Diet. She specialises in Bridal diets, detox plans, Post Pregnancy weight loss etc. She is an online diet planner as well. You can check her work over here and her instagram profile over here for more on health and fitness.
Hope you liked this blog post too. Do shower some love and keep pouring your suggestions as usual. If such foodarts inspire you, just head to some over here for some more fun,
In my last post I have shared a lovely recipe of rajgira ladoos for toddlers . Since monsoons are approaching I have come with a rajgira recipe which can be given even to babies as old as 6 months. With the changing climate a kids immunity system undergoes changes and since i had stated multiple benefits of this special ingredient. I have decided to share this recipe suitable for kids during monsoon. So enjoy this Monsoon Special Rajgira Porridge Recipe forkids.
Rajgira/ Amaranth seeds can be given to babies from 6 month onwards. The best thing of the product is
- It is easily digestible
- It is gluten free
Hence , it is advisable to include this ingredient in the baby’s diet at that early age. In case you are worried about the size of grain , you can blend it in a mixture and give it to babies. Also kids like this hot and hence the best time to introduce rajgira is the monsoon season.
Monsoon Special Rajgira Porridge Recipe for kids
- Rajgira – 1/2 Cup
- Cows Milk/ Formula Milk/ Breast Feed Milk – 1/2 Cup
- Jaggery – 1-2 tbsp
- Almonds/ Walnut Powder -2 tbsp
- Wash the Rajgira with water and drain it and keep aside
- In a vessel mix Rajgira and Milk together and let it cook till the milk reaches its boiling point
- For Formula/ Breastfeed milk – Use warm milk and mix rajgira into it/ Cover it with a lid and keep it aside for 10 mins to let it cook on its own
- Add Jaggery and almond/walnut powder and mix it thoroughly.
- Serve the porridge warm to small babies. For elder kids you can also garnish with whole nuts and serve hot
This Monsoon Special Rajgira Porridge Recipe for kids works as wonderful breakfast or evening snack solution. It is easy to cook and healthy at the same time and hence mom don’t have to worry about giving the essential nutrients as Rajgira solves the purpose. However there are few points that needs to be kept in mind
- Avoid giving nuts to the child if he/she is not keeping well
- Avoid cow’s milk for babies below one year
- You can use natural sweeteners like dates/ maple syrup/ honey instead of jaggery
- You can add fruits like apple/ banana/ resins too
So let your kids enjoy the flavour of this season with a healthy alternative of Rajgira Porridge.
Blog Inspiration – GK Good Life
It’s been a while I have shared a recipe specially catered to kids. And hence today I am sharing a very special recipe which is liked by my little one. So, Learn to make Amaranth / Rajgira Almonds and Jaggery Ladoos for your toddlers. But […]
I love making foodart for kids. It makes me feel good as I watch a kid focusing his/her energy on the meal and enjoying every bit of morsel kept on the plate. Having said that someday’s I allow my child to indulge with his fancy food and just because it is his favourite, I still continue to make foodart for him in-spite of knowing he is going to eat his meal without any tantrum . Well, with that thought and his favourite food bread, I have made this Fun Food Art with Snoopy.
I am personally in love with this cartoon character. I find snoopy very cute. The makers have very well balanced his innocence and mischievous behaviour and that what draws me to this character. Well not many in India are Snoopy Fans, but it does not matter because as soon as I make this foodart, i bet kids as well as moms are going to fall in love with him. So guy’s so let’s begin with a Fun Food Art with Snoopy
FUN FOOD ART WITH SNOOPY
To make this foodart you will require the following ingredients
- Brown Bread
- White Butter / Mayonnaise
- Bread Stick
- Veggies like – Boiled Corn, Boiled Broccoli, Tomato
- Chocolate Sauce
- Sketch out a design on a pen / paper on how you want the platter to look
- Take two slices of bread and shape out the character snoopy.
- The first slice I have used is to make Snoopy’s Face and Ears.
- The second slice I have used is to make Snoopy’s Body, Arms and Legs.
- The remaining bread pieces is used to make the roast stick
- I have then applied white butter to the slices and placed it as needed as shown in the pic below
- Once the base is ready, place the remaining of the bonfire ingredients as shown in the picture below
- Starting with bread sticks, boiled corn, tomato and broccoli
- Finally work in minute details like eyes, mouth, stars etc with the chocolate sauce.
- And your platter is ready to serve
Well this was my first attempt in making Snoopy and I hope I did some justice to it. As usual, I would be looking out for your suggestions and feedback on this fun food art with snoopy and hope i can make some more snoopy arts.
In the mean time you can check out my other foodarts here.