I love making foodart for kids. It makes me feel good as I watch a kid focusing his/her energy on the meal and enjoying every bit of morsel kept on the plate. Having said that someday’s I allow my child to indulge with his fancy […]
Hi Mommas, I have been busy vacating with my little one at lonavla and hence my #maakirasoi segment got sidelined. But I am back and here to share another meal which my mom made when she felt lazy to cook. All she would give a healthy & yet a tasty treat just in a big fat bowl. And me and my sis use to salivate just by the look of it. After all it was colourful, tempting and yummy to the tastebuds. Sharing one of my mom’s easy quick recipe of The Veggie Bowl – A Complete Meal is what I call.
The reason I have titled the bowl as complete because it is rich in fiber, filled with all possible veggies, healthy to the heart – mind – soul. Although these days, veggie bowls are so popular, it was not the case when we were young. It use to be a different concept at that time and my mom use to earn some brownie points for her lovely cooking skills in those days. Well, with emerging times now we get plethora of bowl recipes on the internet
So here I am presenting you her basic recipe which we have been eating since we were kids
The Veggie Bowl – A Complete Meal
- Red Cabbage – 1 small
- Broccoli – 1 small
- Onion – 1 medium size
- Walnuts – 1/4 cup
- Yellow Bell Pepper – 1 medium size
- Water Chestnut – 1/4 Cup
- Nacho Chips – handful
- Wheat Bread – 1/2
- White Sauce
White Sauce Preparation
- In a pan, take 1 tbsp of butter and let it melt
- Take 1 tbsp of wheat and 1 tbsp of maida flour and mix it with the butter and stir continuously
- Add 11/2 cup milk slowly, stirring continuously in the above mixture
- Add 1 small cube of cheese to achieve a cheesy & thick consistency
- If you find the white sauce is thick, add more milk suitable to your requirement
- Semi Boil the broccoli with salt, remove access water and keep it aside
- Chop all the veggies and mix it with the broccoli
- Pour the white sauce gently over the veggies, till they are moist enough
- Garnish it with crushed nachos chips & brown bread/ crouton
- The Veggie Bowl is ready to eat
I hope you found this bowl easy to cook, nutritious and yummy too. This is my #maakirasoi simple & healthy cooking. You can check out more of her recipes I have shared so far.
Although I have passed my deadlines, I hope to share two more #maakirasoi recipes with you and celebrate mom’s month in delight. So for now enjoy The Veggie Bowl – A Complete Meal & till then, plz keep sharing your feedbacks and suggestions. And shower some love.
Justin Smith once said ” After you eat grandma’s cookie, everything in life is better”. Well, in my case “If you eat my mom’s cookie, everything in life is better” . Like every child, I drool over my mom’s food. I find her cooking the best among all. And when she prepares her iconic eggless homemade biscuits, I feel I am re-visiting the child in me. The simplicity of the recipe is what it makes it special. This recipe does not have any fancy ingredients of today’s generation, in-fact it still has the good raw old appeal to it.
With evolving times, my mom has altered one ingredient for health benefits and we still love the taste of it. Unlike, cookies are made from butter ,the eggless homemade biscuits is made from pure cow ghee. And before i share the recipe, let me tell you these homemade biscuits can be given to toddlers as well who are learning to eat, while travelling with them or as a evening snack. In case you are interested in toddler’s recipe you can check the section – Kids platter for more such recipes.
So time to reveal my favourite recipe of my mom – Eggless Homemade Biscuits
EGGLESS HOMEMADE BISCUITS
- Wheat Flour – 1 cup
- Oats – 1 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Ghee – 3/4 Cup
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Almond powder/ Cashew powder – 1/4 cup
- Baking soda – 1tsp ( optional )
- Mix the sugar and ghee together and stir continuously till the sugar melts and blends well
- In this mixture add wheat flour, oats and almond flour
- Add baking soda if you using in the recipe
- To bind the dough, add milk gently to achieve the right thickness. In case the dough feels dry, you can add more milk and ghee depending on the consistency needed
- Once the thickness is achieved, roll out small balls of the dough and give a relevant shape with a cookie cutter
- Place the cookies in preheated oven for 15-20 mins at 180-200 C ( Kindly keep checking the first time so that biscuits are not over baked)
- Once you prepare the batch of biscuits store it in a air tight container
- The biscuits are ready to eat
Kindly note –
- You can even prepare the biscuits if you don’t have a oven on a gas grill but it takes longer time
- Instead of oats you can also make use of ragi/nachni flour, however a little more ghee would be needed to get the desired consitency
In case you loved the vintage eggless homemade biscuits recipe, let me tell you my mom added oats instead of a complete wheat flour recipe. Although the changes have been made, we still love the taste of it and also the refined crispiness in the recipe.
This is my second post to the #maakirasoi edition. The first I made was hariyali pavbhaji – a complete green and nutritious pavbhaji suitable for 6 to 60yr old. You can check the recipe over here
This one is completely different, makes me go back to my childhood days to such an extent that I make this for my toddler also and I hope this recipe is passed on to generations to come.
Look forward to your feedback as always.
Hi Moms out there, I had taken a poll on instagram a few days back asking whether any of you would be interested in diy activities for kids with respect to food. To my surprise 90% of moms gave a positive revert and here I am sharing my first diy activitiy for kids with apple fruit.
The first diy activity is very basic, simple and yet very effective for kids who are learning alphabets. It is a perfect fit for kids in the age group of 2-5 years. It is called the Apple- Toothpick activity.
- Apple chopped in small block type pieces
- Place the toothpicks in the shape of the letter A
- Connect the toothpicks with each other by placing the apple pieces in middle
- Just poke in the toothpicks end and the entire alphabet A is good ready to be eaten
- Helps to promote healthy eating habits
- Helps to grasp the letter A and improvises the learning speed of the child
- Improves fine motor skill and problem solving
Some Do’s and Don’ts
- Conduct the activity in an adults supervision as toothpicks can prick a child
The second diy activity for kids with apple fruit is suitable for elder kids who are in love with science experiments or just have curious mindset. This one is called Oxidation with Apple
- Cut the apple in two halves
- Rub the lemon on one cuts side of one half of the apple
- Place both the apples exposed to air
- Check after 2-3 hours and OBSERVE THE DIFFERENCE
- The apple half that was not rubbed with apple juice would have turned brown whereas the one which was rubbed with lemon willwill re fresh.
- There are compounds in apple that turn brown when exposed to air which contains oxygen. This process is called oxidation.
- If you add acid, oxidation does not occur. Lemons are acidic in nature and hence the lemon rubbed apple looked fresh.
Life expermients create a believable attitude of the child and the knowledge gain is 10 times higher then bookish knowledge.
Well this was my first attempt in creating diy activitiy for kids with apple fruit. Hope you all loved it. Look forward to hear from you all and do share feedback.
In the mean time you can view foodarts which can be a fun diy MasterChef activity for your child
Before i give out some details, let me inform you – this is my 51st foodart and I have been privileged to be associated with a brand who believes in the importance of nurturing beautiful moments. Their products are specially designed to make the life […]
This is my 50th Foodart on the blog and I am so happy to achieve this milestone. I can’t be more than grateful to all of you for motivating me time to time and appreciating my work. It is because of your positive spirit, I have been able to reach at the current number in like 6 months, I had never dreamed off. And what could be a better way to celebrate this milestone with the love of cricket. So let’s enjoy the IPL 2018 Cricket Mania.
Having said that, I had asked everyone through my Insta Account on how can I celebrate my 50th post and I got some amazing response from moms and friends on what could be my next foodart. Going by the current demand, I choose to ride on the cricket mania by creating a foodart on IPL2018 for all the cricket lovers out there.
Cricket Fanatics are going crazy and so am I, not because I love cricket but the Men in my house have just one thing to do i.e Enjoy the IPL 2018 Cricket Mania and all I can do is enjoy with them in my way.
As typical Indian’s we are, our mouth can’t stay lonely while we watch a movie/ sport etc. And all we do is munch on some fats ..ya chips, coke, bhajiyas those are fats aren’t they ? and are glued to the TV sets. So this time Instead of cribbing about it, I sunk myself in the craziness of IPL and created a platter with one of the protein rich food – Moong Dal Chila.
Well nothing creative with the recipe, but just little different way of styling the food for the men of the house. After all it’s IPL time !!!
Curious to know, what i did ? Well just catch on my video and make this IPL platter for your family, the way i did.
Did you enjoy it Mommies?? Do share your feedback.
And since many of you suggested to make videos, this is my first attempt in making stop photo video. Do give your feedback as well, As I plan to create more of this in future.