I have started an initiative on my instagram account with 3 mom bloggers to share some healthy recipes for kids under the #tasty4munchkins. The idea is we want moms to give an easy platform to access recipes and solve their meal planning problems with the […]
I always keep talking about how important it is to feed healthy home cooked meals to our children. In the era of Internet, TV, Social media it is easier to google out various kinds of healthy recipes, the right diet for your children, types of […]
We all know, how important it is to consume breakfast in the morning be it elders or kids. But with the early morning school schedules our kids find it hard to take out time to eat their breakfast properly, simply because everyone in the house is running to keep up pace with the time. And as adults we too succumb to providing easy solutions to kids just to finish our job. But do you tend to realize, the important benefits of healthy breakfast for children ?
1. Assist in maintaining healthy weight
Breakfast means “Breaking-a-fast”. Kids technically sleep for 8-10 hours, that means they haven’t had food for 8-10 hours since their last meal. When you get up, our body needs to refuel itself and breakfast converts the fuel in food to energy. And when metabolism gets moving, body starts burning calories and you can maintain a healthy weight.
2. Acts as a Brain Booster
Kids need a good attentive span, concentration power and long lasting memory for learning things taught in school, daily life etc. And this can come only if we provide kids with breakfast which is high in fiber, carbohydrates, proteins and other important nutrients.
But as said earlier, it is difficult to prepare healthy breakfast when you are juggling with household chore, getting your kids ready and trying to accommodate your working time etc. Hence I am sharing a few suggestions here that could help you to make and serve healthy breakfast for kids.
- Create a weekly breakfast planner and stock your kitchen with the essential ingredients
- Stay prepared a night before like keeping the utensils ready, cutting fruits, setting up the breakfast table etc
- I guess this is important get you and your kids up 15 mins earlier then the actual time to stop the hush hush
- During days when you are late to prepare a meal, keep healthy grab-and-go alternatives like low sugar cereals, fruits, smoothies, home made mix chivda, etc
- If kids are not hungry in the morning, give a separate tiffin box which they can eat in the bus.
- Try and include fruits, milk & nuts as a part of your everyday breakfast meal
- Make use of leftover food of last night and mix it with some different ingredients and create a new dish
- Make Sunday a Fun breakfast brunch day where you can get your kids to help you, create the foodart as shown above with them works like a DIY activity and enjoy your meal without the hustle bustle of running around.
- Most important – Eat with your kids and start your day with loads of positive energy, hugs and smiles and happiness
These are some of the important benefits of healthy breakfast for your children. All you need is commitment to make breakfast a healthy mandatory routine of your lifestyle and you have nailed a healthy future for your child.
In case you are looking for a tutorial on how i made this foodart you can check my instagram post
If you liked this post, you also check my opinion of various food and lifestyle changes to made for kids here
If you liked this foodart, you can check for some more ideas over here
This blog post is part of the #myfriendalexa campaign organized by @blogchatter
A picky eater or a toddler who refuses to consume the food can be very frustrating for a parent. Being a parent you might have googled out of town for solutions, seemed advice from fellow mom, taken suggestion from your peers and yet you could […]
We all have heard this proverb “Health is Wealth”. But how much do we really take care of our health in the real sense. Specially after giving a birth to a baby our lives focus is on the kid, family, job, sleepless nights etc etc. […]
Hi Mommas, I have been busy vacating with my little one at lonavla and hence my #maakirasoi segment got sidelined. But I am back and here to share another meal which my mom made when she felt lazy to cook. All she would give a healthy & yet a tasty treat just in a big fat bowl. And me and my sis use to salivate just by the look of it. After all it was colourful, tempting and yummy to the tastebuds. Sharing one of my mom’s easy quick recipe of The Veggie Bowl – A Complete Meal is what I call.
The reason I have titled the bowl as complete because it is rich in fiber, filled with all possible veggies, healthy to the heart – mind – soul. Although these days, veggie bowls are so popular, it was not the case when we were young. It use to be a different concept at that time and my mom use to earn some brownie points for her lovely cooking skills in those days. Well, with emerging times now we get plethora of bowl recipes on the internet
So here I am presenting you her basic recipe which we have been eating since we were kids
The Veggie Bowl – A Complete Meal
- Red Cabbage – 1 small
- Broccoli – 1 small
- Onion – 1 medium size
- Walnuts – 1/4 cup
- Yellow Bell Pepper – 1 medium size
- Water Chestnut – 1/4 Cup
- Nacho Chips – handful
- Wheat Bread – 1/2
- White Sauce
White Sauce Preparation
- In a pan, take 1 tbsp of butter and let it melt
- Take 1 tbsp of wheat and 1 tbsp of maida flour and mix it with the butter and stir continuously
- Add 11/2 cup milk slowly, stirring continuously in the above mixture
- Add 1 small cube of cheese to achieve a cheesy & thick consistency
- If you find the white sauce is thick, add more milk suitable to your requirement
- Semi Boil the broccoli with salt, remove access water and keep it aside
- Chop all the veggies and mix it with the broccoli
- Pour the white sauce gently over the veggies, till they are moist enough
- Garnish it with crushed nachos chips & brown bread/ crouton
- The Veggie Bowl is ready to eat
I hope you found this bowl easy to cook, nutritious and yummy too. This is my #maakirasoi simple & healthy cooking. You can check out more of her recipes I have shared so far.
Although I have passed my deadlines, I hope to share two more #maakirasoi recipes with you and celebrate mom’s month in delight. So for now enjoy The Veggie Bowl – A Complete Meal & till then, plz keep sharing your feedbacks and suggestions. And shower some love.
Summers are here and so are the colourful butterflies making their appearance, fluttering around flowers and dancing to the tunes of soft breeze. These butterflies have drawn my attention to get my creative juices flowing to make a lovely foodart. While today’s dinner is vegetarian […]
As a kid, i was always too excited about snack time purely because if two reasons
- I use to be extremely hungry since I use to come from school
- My mom use to always serve hot snacks like upma, toast sandwich, theplas, dry Gujarati snacks etc
Well, as you grow old this becomes a part of every day routine unless you have kids because now you have demands, arguments and favourites.
As a mom, my job is to get their interest in food. And I just tried to make snack time fun by playing tic tac toe with some cookies, breadstick and ghatiyas. Well the game was also for an extra pair of cookies / chocolate ao we had a deal the one who wins gets an extra cookie or some chocolates. Whoever wins, i don’t mind but it takes me back to my childhood memories and makes living more beautiful.
BROCOLLI – SOYA CHUNKS PULAO Being a vegetarian, i sometimes get bored of the mundane vegetable pulaos and biryanis. Although i love experimenting with ingredients, my experience has made me realize it is not only to do with taste of vegetables but the quality of […]
Hi Moms, I am here with yet another fruit plate but this time with a cute little grape fish swimming around. Since this month is all about sea world, i thought of serving salads and fruits in a creative way thereby ensuring all possible nutrients go in the kids tummy.
This Food-Art is made of
- Fish made of Green Grapes & Strawberries
- Reef made of Boiled Broccoli, Red Radish, Black Grapes and Cucumber
The beauty of this food-art lies in the simplicity of ingredients and if you agree with me do share or like the platter