As a parent, I have always been looking forward to craft some yummy recipes for my child which can be easy, quick and instant at the same time healthy. As a mom, I found my child being little iron deficient and so I wanted to […]
I have started an initiative on my instagram account with 3 mom bloggers to share some healthy recipes for kids under the #tasty4munchkins. The idea is we want moms to give an easy platform to access recipes and solve their meal planning problems with the […]
Does your mouth water when you hear RAJMA CHAWAL? I assume it does, since it is one of the patent dish you will find in 90% of Punjabi House. But do you know there are so many varieties of this one simple dish like the Emli Rajma Chawal, Onion Garlic Rama Chawal, Jain Rajma Chawal etc. Well today I will share of the ancestors recipe passed on from generation to generation with typical no changes made in it. This is my MIL recipe which I will be sharing today which will take you on a tour to visit the grandma’s kitchen . So Learn to make Jain Rajma Chawal Recipe in Punjabi style.
Not many of you are aware there exists a community of Punjabi Jains in India. And contradictory to the belief, Punajbis are non vegetarian we are a small tribe who not only relish vegetarian meal but also Jain Food. Having said that I would not want to waste your time and jump to sharing this old grandma recipe coming from the Jain community itself. So lets Learn to make Jain Rajma Chawal Recipe in Punjabi style.
- Rajma 200 gms
- Tomatoes 3 nos
- Cummin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green Chillies 2 nos
- Red Turmeric Powder – 1tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1tsp
- Curd – 1 tbsp
- Eno/ baking soda – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1-2 tbsp
- Sugar a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Coriander for garnishing
- Wash the rajma and soak it in the water for 8 – 10 hrs
- Pressure cook the rajma until soft . Add salt before you pressure cook. (you may even add soda for better boiling)
- Drain and keep aside or separate the stock if you have not used baking soda and keep aside
- Blend the tomatoes and green chilli together in a blender and keyboard puree aside
- In a pan, heat the oil, add cumin seeds , red chilli powder, coriander powder and add the tomato puree.
- Let it cook, till all the water evaporates. Add salt a pinch of sugar and give it a quick stir.
- Add curd for flavour at this stage followed by boiled Rajma along with the stock and cook for 7-8 mins.
- Adjust the water consistency as needed, we make it little watery
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
Well as you may enjoy the simplicity of the dish your kids can show some tantrums too. In the age of pizza and pasta kids don’t tend to like simplicity. So for such kids I have made this cute little Rajma-Rice Man inspired from the character Ginger Bread Man. It is one of the easy recipe to plate and can be done in a jiffy.
- Rajma gravy
- Chocolate Balls
- Give the ginger bread shape to the rice in the dish you plan to serve your meal
- Add chocolate balls as eyes and buttons
- Add olive representing as mouth
- Pour the rajma gravy on the sides and gaps remaining in the entire plate
- Your Rajma Rice Man is ready to be eaten
Well this is a small effort by me to help kids learn to enjoy food. Hope you liked it too. Do share your suggestions and feedback and enjoy the Jain Rajma Chawal in Punjabi Style. In the mean time you can check my other recipes over here