I have always been a mom who has shown keen interest in serving tradtional foods to babies and leaving the western culture for the weekends. Having said that , one of key ingredients i had introduced to my kid since he was 7 months old […]
Tag: toddler food
I have known many moms who find it difficult to pack the right food for their infants during travel. It is indeed a difficult process for a mother to pick and choose food that not only fulfils the hunger pangs of the child but at the same time provides essential nutrition for growth and development. Having said this, I am going to start a series of blog wherein I will share foodstuff – homemade & packaged food that can be consumed during vacation, travel etc etc.
I personally have been on a travel spree, since my little one was 6 months old. Initially, I use to worry all the time on kind of food to give, will he be a troublemaker or fussy, will he like it, will he be comfortable etc etc. But basis my experience, I have come to realise kids can be very adaptive to situations and surroundings. All they want is food, sleep and play play play – as moms we can manage to provide these three ingredients, there is nothing to worry about.
Since, food is our topic of discussion, I am sharing you this one wholesome food cereal that is highly nutritious and travel friendly meal for you to cook. But before I begin, here are some to-do’s, I follow that can help you.
- I always carry a induction plate with relevant utensil like a medium size pan/wok to cook & a stirrer. In case moms who do not opt to carry induction plate, can always make use of the kettle provided by the hotel/ resort you check-in.
- I make two different travel bags
- On the Go Bag – Food that does not involve cooking which i keep with me all the time
- Food to Cook Bag – Food that involves cooking which i will use once I arrive at the destination
- Create a standard meal plan you wish to follow and pack the quantities accordingly. Basis my personal experience small packaging work wonders as food is not exposed to air or adulterated by an means
If you follow these tips, I am sure travel with baby is easier than it may seem like. Well, I know you waited for the recipe – Let’s Begin
INGREDIENTS to make the Cereal Powder
- Rice 100 gms
- Mong Dal 100gms
- Nachni/ Ragi 100gms
- Wheat 100gms
METHOD to make the Cereal Powder
- Wash and Soak all of the above ingredients separately for 12 hrs
- Drain the water and let it sun dry till all the moisture is lost
- Dry roast all the ingredients separately and grind it in a mixture till it becomes a fine powder
- Combine the mixture (dried cereal powder) and store it in a air-tight container
- Keep this mixture ready few days before you travel
INGREDIENTS to make the Cereal Porridge
- Dry Cereal Powder – 3 tbsp
- Jaggery – 1 tbsp
METHOD to make the Cereal Porridge
- In a pan, combing the cereal powder, jaggery and some water & let it cook for 10mins.
- Keep adding water to achieve the required consistency and cook the porridge stirring continuously so that the mixture does not stick to the vessel.
- Let it cool a little and feed the healthy porridge to your little munchkin
- The cereal powder can be stored at room temperature for 30 days ( I have not stored it beyond)
- Keep the powder ready before you plan your travel
- This cereal can be given to 7 month plus babies till 5 years of age
I hope you will love this home made recipe. It is very easy to make and full of nutrition. Do share your feedback and suggestions in the comments or mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kids need constant activity and interaction, especially during holidays. What can be a better way to entice the curious mind right at the breakfast table. Inculcating healthy habits can be made easy like my current foodart. The cute little puppy i know is made of […]