I have started an initiative on my instagram account with 3 mom bloggers to share some healthy recipes for kids under the #tasty4munchkins. The idea is we want moms to give an easy platform to access recipes and solve their meal planning problems with the […]
Do you love Pizzas ? Who doesn’t. But does your kid eat pizza with veggies loaded in it. A bite, may be a slice but keeps demanding Cheese Pizza only? Well it has become a challenge these days for parents to get their children to […]
Does your mouth water when you hear RAJMA CHAWAL? I assume it does, since it is one of the patent dish you will find in 90% of Punjabi House. But do you know there are so many varieties of this one simple dish like the Emli Rajma Chawal, Onion Garlic Rama Chawal, Jain Rajma Chawal etc. Well today I will share of the ancestors recipe passed on from generation to generation with typical no changes made in it. This is my MIL recipe which I will be sharing today which will take you on a tour to visit the grandma’s kitchen . So Learn to make Jain Rajma Chawal Recipe in Punjabi style.
Not many of you are aware there exists a community of Punjabi Jains in India. And contradictory to the belief, Punajbis are non vegetarian we are a small tribe who not only relish vegetarian meal but also Jain Food. Having said that I would not want to waste your time and jump to sharing this old grandma recipe coming from the Jain community itself. So lets Learn to make Jain Rajma Chawal Recipe in Punjabi style.
- Rajma 200 gms
- Tomatoes 3 nos
- Cummin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green Chillies 2 nos
- Red Turmeric Powder – 1tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1tsp
- Curd – 1 tbsp
- Eno/ baking soda – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1-2 tbsp
- Sugar a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Coriander for garnishing
- Wash the rajma and soak it in the water for 8 – 10 hrs
- Pressure cook the rajma until soft . Add salt before you pressure cook. (you may even add soda for better boiling)
- Drain and keep aside or separate the stock if you have not used baking soda and keep aside
- Blend the tomatoes and green chilli together in a blender and keyboard puree aside
- In a pan, heat the oil, add cumin seeds , red chilli powder, coriander powder and add the tomato puree.
- Let it cook, till all the water evaporates. Add salt a pinch of sugar and give it a quick stir.
- Add curd for flavour at this stage followed by boiled Rajma along with the stock and cook for 7-8 mins.
- Adjust the water consistency as needed, we make it little watery
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
Well as you may enjoy the simplicity of the dish your kids can show some tantrums too. In the age of pizza and pasta kids don’t tend to like simplicity. So for such kids I have made this cute little Rajma-Rice Man inspired from the character Ginger Bread Man. It is one of the easy recipe to plate and can be done in a jiffy.
- Rajma gravy
- Chocolate Balls
- Give the ginger bread shape to the rice in the dish you plan to serve your meal
- Add chocolate balls as eyes and buttons
- Add olive representing as mouth
- Pour the rajma gravy on the sides and gaps remaining in the entire plate
- Your Rajma Rice Man is ready to be eaten
Well this is a small effort by me to help kids learn to enjoy food. Hope you liked it too. Do share your suggestions and feedback and enjoy the Jain Rajma Chawal in Punjabi Style. In the mean time you can check my other recipes over here
We all have heard this proverb “Health is Wealth”. But how much do we really take care of our health in the real sense. Specially after giving a birth to a baby our lives focus is on the kid, family, job, sleepless nights etc etc. […]
Summers are here and so are the colourful butterflies making their appearance, fluttering around flowers and dancing to the tunes of soft breeze. These butterflies have drawn my attention to get my creative juices flowing to make a lovely foodart. While today’s dinner is vegetarian tacos, I am up to create this lovely creature on my platter and I bet your kids will love these vegetarian tacos.
Before I begin, I have not shared the vegetarian taco recipe here since it’s the basic one made from home cooked kidney beans. In case you are interested, plz let me know in the comments, I’ll be happy to share it.
Also you can make this foodart with your kids at home. More the participation from them and you more fun frolic activity it becomes and kids accept various types of food easily. So for now lets your kids enjoy these vegetarian tacos.
Learn How to make a Butterfly Shaped Taco Platter ?
- 4 Tacos
- Salad like Carrot, Tomato
- First cut the tomato in circle shape and carrot length wise
- Place it on the platter as shown in the image. The idea is to showcase the face and body of the butterfly
- Place 4 tacos as the wings of the butterfly as shown in the picture
Your Butterfly Taco is ready to serve and your kids will love these vegetarian tacos you have prepared for them. As a mom you are now their super mummy for crafting such delicious meals not only that taste well but also look well. At the end of the day all we want the kids to enjoy their meals and not be glued to the TV / Mobile sets.
And with such beautiful creations hope we moms can teach them to enjoy their food. In the mean time do share your feedback mommas and show some love as you always do !!
In case you are keen in checking some of my foodarts, plz click here
A nutrition rich snack for toddlers, kids & adult loaded with dry-fruits of your choice with the base ingredient being Dates
- Seedless Dates – 2 Cups
- Almond – 1 Cup
- Pistachio – 1 Cup
- Walnuts – 1 Cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Jaggery ( a small chunk if needed for those with sweet tooth)
- Roast Almonds, Pistachios and Walnuts and grind them together till you get the coarse mixture
- Take Dates and cut them into tiny pieces
- In a pan heat ghee and add the dates
- Allow it to soften and remove it from the flame
- Add the dryfruit mixture into the dates
- At this stage you can add jaggery if you want the mixture to be sweet
- Knead the entire mixture till it forms a dough
- Make small balls as per the size suitable to you
- Sprinkle any leftover dryfruit powder
- Dryfruit Dates Balls are ready to serve
- Choose Soft Dates
- Refrigerate if you want to store for a longer period of time
Inspiration : Indiangoodfood